The high school orchestras are curricular classes (1 credit) that accept all string instruments (violin, viola, cello, double bass, and harp) under the direction of Mr. Roberto Iriarte. The orchestras rehearse daily as a string orchestra to review, maintain and refine pedagogical techniques for bowed string instrument performance. There are 2 string orchestras: Chamber Orchestra (by audition) and Sinfonietta.
The string orchestras perform a minimum of 4 formal concerts throughout the school year plus additional performances at festivals, OMEA competitions, elementary school concerts and community events. Literature chosen for the string orchestra comes from the standard orchestral repertoire including selections on the Ohio Music Educators Association Contest List and Prescribed Lists by the American String Teachers Association. Solo & Ensemble contest is strongly encouraged to develop individual skills and small group skills in Chamber Music (small ensembles of 2-8 players). Soloists and Chamber groups may also have additional opportunity to perform as a supplement to the large group experience for performances at school and community events.
Symphonic Orchestra including woodwinds, brass and percussion may be a part of the orchestral experience for some Chamber performances at the discretion of the orchestra director. Membership in the Full Orchestra (woodwinds, brass and percussion) is contingent upon enrollment in top concert band and recommendation of the head band director. An audition may also be required. These spots in the orchestra are very limited and are considered an honors position in the orchestra program. The wind and percussion section rehearses outside the school day and requires advanced technical proficiency as well as mature musical thought.
Hudson Music Association parent volunteers work with Mr. Iriarte to provide Fun and Fundraising opportunities for these talented string students. Please consider offering your talents through this organization; all parents who have a student enrolled in the HHS Orchestras are automatically members of HHSMA. Hard earned fundraising dollars support the orchestra program. Student uniforms are provided by HHSMA Orchestra funds so that students can rent them at affordable rates and have the correct size throughout the year. Some school-owned instruments are provided for daytime rehearsals and maintained in top condition. We have fundraising initiatives planned that will build the 2017-2018 trip fund. Traditionally, the orchestras travel bi-annually; some years the travel is domestic and other years, they may travel Internationally. Fundraising monies also cover the cost for group State Contest fees and miscellaneous expenses that allow the program to run smoothly.
- Uniform Committee - 10-12 volunteers to assist several times a year with fittings, organization and collection of uniforms
- Cookie Baker – 6-8 volunteers to bake goodies to be served after the December concert
- Football Concessions - 60 volunteer spaces available during the season to sell/prepare food at the concession booths
- Tag Day – parent drivers, the more parents we have representing orchestra, the greater the $$$ earned for the Orchestra Program
- Orchestra Fundraising – committee members to oversee planning and execution of fundraising events
- OMEA State Contest - 20-40 volunteers needed to work over the course of this 2-day event in February each year
As always, we need many volunteers to work with the Hudson Music Association to raise monies to provide support for our music programs. Please contact Heather House and Sarah Norman to see how you can become involved! Orchestravp.hhsma at gmail.com
Football Concessions Volunteers - Fall 2017
Click here to use SignupGenius.com to reserve your specific concessions volunteer time:
- Orchestra families (approx. 60 adult volunteer opportunities in the regular season) will be needed to help staff the concessions stands for all home football games.
- Plan to work with a fellow Orchestra parent friend or come alone and join our spirited, fun comradery.
- Work positions include: window sales, griller, sandwich wrapper, popcorn maker, hot chocolate mixer, pretzel baker, runner, and students-selling-in-stands support person.
- No experience or skills needed! Fun, gratification and admission to the game is free!
To volunteer for the football season please down load the documents below:
Acme Community Cash Back Program Is Opening Soon
Start saving your Acme receipts August 10, 2017 through December 30, 2017.
We've registered; now we need your receipts! A collection box for Orchestra is in the music hall across from the practice rooms.
Solo & Ensemble is 1/27/18
Literature Selection Deadline with Mr. Iriarte is 10/13/17.
Deadline for registration is 12/1/17.
Fees: Solos-TBA; Ensembles-TBA