Hudson High School is known throughout the area for its excellent Jazz program. The Hudson High School Jazz Ensembles consist of 3 traditional big bands with opportunity for small group (combo) experience. Each ensemble experiences a varied repertoire of jazz styles from 1900 - today including swing, funk, be-bop, latin and rock. All jazz ensembles require an audition at the beginning of each school year. All musicians enrolled in band, choir and orchestra playing saxophone, trombone, trumpet, piano, bass, drum set, guitar and vocals are eligible for membership (with the exception of guitar and piano).
The Hudson High School Music Association supports the Hudson Jazz program by raising funds which pay for music, equipment, and experiences which enrich our student’s jazz education such as master classes, clinics and concerts with national and international jazz artists and participation in local and regional jazz festivals. Annual fundraising includes Tag Day, Concessions and our Evening of Jazz benefit event. We also help to organize and administer Hudson Jazz Fest and any other concerts featuring visiting guest artists.
Hudson Jazz ensembles are extra-curricular and rehearse after school two or three times each week, from 3:15 p.m. until 4:30 p.m.
- Jazz Ensemble I: This premier performing group placing strong emphasis on advanced high school and collegiate repertoire requiring jazz improvisation from all selected musicians. The musicians enjoy 12-15 performances per school year throughout Northeast Ohio including invitational jazz festivals and special performances. Jazz Ensemble I rehearsals are from late September through Memorial Day on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 3:15-4:30 p.m.
- Jazz Ensemble II: This intermediate band performs intermediate literature to develop jazz style and jazz improvisation through the big band experience. The musicians enjoy 8-10 performances per school year throughout Northeast Ohio including invitational jazz festivals and special performances. Jazz Ensemble II rehearses starting with the conclusion of marching band through Memorial Day on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15-4:30 p.m.
- Jazz Ensemble III (Jazz Lab): A band for those musicians who wish to learn basic skills and technique on their instrument in the jazz style and large ensemble setting. Jazz improvisation is learned in the ensemble for those who do not improvise before joining. Athletes enjoy Jazz Lab due to the schedule conflict with Jazz I and Jazz II. Jazz Lab performs 3-5 performances per year and rehearsals are on Wednesdays from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
The Jazz directors may modify the weekly rehearsal schedule as needed throughout the year. Students are expected to check their school email regularly to stay updated about rehearsal changes and other important Jazz info.
Jazz I and Jazz II perform at many events each year, including:
- HHS December Holiday Assembly (Jazz I)
- Evening of Jazz Benefit (January)
- Hudson PTO Pancake Breakfast (March)
- Hudson Jazz Spring Awards Concert (May)
- Hudson Summer Music Festival (Memorial Day, May)
Questions? Contact Mr. Iriarte (IriarteR at hudson.edu)