English 10 Syllabus 2021 - 2022
Welcome to English class! We are looking forward to getting to know you and learning with you. If at any point during the school year you have questions or concerns, we are available to provide extra help via email, office hours/Explorer period, and most days after school. We are happy to help!
- Come to class ready to learn each day with assignments completed and requested materials available.
- When possible, use the restroom BEFORE or AFTER class.
- iPads must be brought to class daily, charged and ready for use.
*We do not have extra chargers available.
- Each day, please place phones in your assigned pocket.
- Please be aware of Hudson High School regulations as detailed in the electronic handbook. Note the sections on attendance, tardiness, dress code, personal electronics, food, and plagiarism / cheating.
- Respect your teachers and classmates who are also here to learn.
- Please follow all COVID-related district mandates.
- What we will do in the event of a problem will depend on the individual person and the special situation.
In English 10, you will have the opportunity to read and discuss selected world literature. We will study novels, short stories, plays, poetry, and nonfiction. In addition, you will have the opportunity to strengthen your writing skills. Writing includes narrative writing, literary analysis, argumentation, and research.
Major Works may include:
Night The Secret Life of Bees *Choice book(s)
Shakespearean Drama All Quiet on the Western Front
*teacher selected list
Hard copies of some reading materials will need to be secured by individual students. When this occurs, we will give you ample notice to obtain a copy of the book. In addition to online resources such as Amazon, books are typically available through the HHS Media Center, classroom library, and the used bookstore in room W70.
In class every day you will need:
* 1 ½ inch binder with 5 dividers / tabs *pens, pencils, 2 highlighters
*iPad and charger (stylus pen recommended) *current text we are studying
MUGS, Course Info, Reading, Writing, Reference *notebook paper
Your grades in this course will be calculated using total points and will fall into two categories, formative and summative.
Formative (Academic Practice) = Approximately 30% of your grade
May include homework checks, in-class assignments, some quizzes, some writing assignments, participation, and class discussions
Summative (Academic Achievement) = Approximately 70% of your grade
May include tests, quizzes, writing assignments, activities, presentations or projects that assess how well you mastered the material we are studying
Grades will be updated regularly on Home Access Center. Please see us if you have questions or concerns. Do not wait until the end of the grading period to bring up your grade!
We will be assigning and checking formative work on a regular basis. If you are present in class and were present when the work was assigned, you are expected to have it completed. Not completing formative work may result in a zero, an assigned Explorer Period, a missed opportunity for feedback, or a missed opportunity to participate in a learning activity. All summative assignments must be completed; summative work submitted late will earn reduced credit.
What To Do When You are Absent or Have Questions
Being present in class is your best key to success! However, if you are absent, late, or miss class for ANY reason, the responsibility lies with YOU to check Google Classroom and communicate with us about any missed assignments or assessments. We expect missed quizzes and tests to be made up on your own time when you return to school. Wednesday mornings and Explorer Periods are available to get caught up.
Here are some helpful tools for keeping yourself organized:
- Use the class Google Calendar. A planner might also be helpful to copy assignments from the board; however, we will also post the information electronically on Google Classroom.
- Check Google Classroom DAILY for assignments / handouts / announcements. All learning will be posted on Google Classroom.
- Reach out to your classmates, or email BOTH of us if you have questions; please contact us with questions that need immediate attention no later than 8pm.
Please share this syllabus with your parents / guardians. They are welcome to contact us at any time (now or throughout the year) with questions or comments via email or by calling the school at 330.653.1416. We will return their messages as soon as possible.
As your “proof of purchase” please take a selfie of you and your parents/guardians reviewing this page together. Upload your very cool selfie to the assignment on Google Classroom titled “Classroom Syllabus Selfie.”
Thank you for your time and sending us wonderful students!