Some things to know about homework in my class:
- Doing the homework correctly is a very important part of being prepared for the exams. I don't assign it just so the kids have something to do and I have something to grade.
- There will be two types of homework - daily and weekly.
- Daily homework will often be done with an online tool called DeltaMath. The daily homework will help with the basic skills learned in that lesson. These assignments will be similar to practicing scales when learning to play an instrument.
- Weekly homework will come from the book and will involve more steps and problem solving. This will be like practicing a song, not just the scales.
- Daily homework will be graded directly from DeltaMath - students need to correctly complete a set number of problems for each skill. There are two different assessment methods for weekly homework. Students will receive a grade simply for completing the homework. We will have a short homework quiz for each assignment. For the quiz, I will ask the students to redo one of the problems during class in a quiz setting and that will be their grade for that assignment.
- There are several ways to get help on homework:
- I usually ask students at the start of class if they have any questions about the homework.
- The math lab is open before school and every period during the day (I am in the lab during 10th period this year, but all the teachers are able to help).
- I am usually at school pretty early and stay a bit late. We can almost always work something out, if a student asks.
- If a student is having trouble getting the homework done by the due date, they need to say something to me so we can work out an acceptable timetable. I don't like to take points off because something is late, but there is a point where if it is too late it doesn't do them any good. All homework needs to be in 3 class periods before an exam to get credit.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this.