- To build a strong foundation for the study of higher mathematics.
- To explore and develop a conceptual understanding of Pre-algebra using the following mathematical processes: problem solving, reasoning and proof, communication, representation, and connections
- To practice mental math and to apply algebraic concepts to real-world situations.
- To make connections between the patterns, rules, tables, and graphs that occurs in mathematics.
- To think and write about math.
Your Math Grade
- Every attempt will be made to update your grades weekly in HAC so you can track your current grade in math as well keep track of missing or late assignments. Grades are calculated and weighted using three types of grades:
Summative Assessments – 50%
- Individual Tests (cumulative) – one per chapter
- Each individual test will be composed of approximately 40% new material and 60% review material.
- If you are absent, you are expected to make arrangements to take a make-up test as soon as possible.
- Tests will be given through google classroom and there will be an online and written component.
Participation and Assessments with Resources– 15%
- Team Reviews–one per chapter (approximately one week before individual test)
- If you are absent from a team review, you will do the team review individually with your book and notes as a resource, unless other arrangements have been made.
- Participation quizzes
- Team Presentations
Formative Assessment (homework, classwork, checkpoints, quick checks) – 35%
- Some assignments will be collected and checked for completion.
- Some assignments will be collected and checked for quality.
- Late work is accepted one day late, but will not be given full credit.
- Quizzes - short assessments composed of new material.
Required Materials: Please bring with you to class every day:
3-ring binder with dividers (classwork, homework, and notes),
a graphing notebooks (kept inside binder),
Chromebook and/or textbook, CPM notes workbook (kept inside binder),
TI-34 Multi-view Calculator (some days calculators will NOT be allowed),
pencils with erasers, and a pen to correct homework.
Extra Help: Please seek help as soon as you are experiencing difficulty.
- Mrs. Craven and Mrs. Gray (she is my co-teacher in 4th period) are available during team support or team work time. If those times are not available then we can work with you to make an appointment.
- Ask a parent or friend – have a buddy you can contact at home with questions.
- Cpm.org website: extra practice problems found in Parent Guide
If you are absent, you need to check your Google Classroom and calendar. It is your responsibility to make up that work and turn it in the next day (or however many days you were absent). If you have questions, see a classmate or your teachers for help. ☺
- Be ready to begin when the bell rings/zoom session starts, and expect to work hard.
- Be responsible for your own learning.
- Be patient and respectful of your teacher, classmates and the classroom.
- Keep phones put away unless we are using them in class.
Team Work Rules
- Only talk about math.
- Do not talk to other groups.
- When you are stuck, ask everyone in your group before asking the teacher.
- Everyone should be working on the same problem at the same time.
Suggestions for Success
- Have good attendance.
- Do homework daily.
- Work together, learn together.
- Stay organized.
- Treat others with respect!
- We are in this together. Remember we are here for you!