Dear EWIS Families,
As many of you know, this has been a challenging week in our building due to COVID. We have had 38 positive COVID cases since Monday, 14 cases in one classroom alone. The grade level breakdown of cases is as follows: 10 in 5th grade; 18 in 4th grade and 10 among 3rd grade classrooms. To put this in perspective, last week East Woods had only six positive cases for the entire building. We are very concerned with the sudden increase in COVID positive cases among this age group.
While commonalities exist among a few of our students who tested positive for COVID, such as riding the same bus, playing on the same sports team, etc. - there is not one particular activity we can identify that led to this increase among so many students. Although we already have been cleaning and spraying our building at night to prevent the spread of the virus, East Woods will also undergo a deep clean during this three-day weekend. We continue to ask that if your child shows any signs of illness, please keep them home from school and extracurricular activities.
There are a number of reminders and upcoming events that I want to make sure are on your radar.
Upcoming PTO Events:
- Hoe Down - Friday, 10/22 & Saturday, 10/23
- 5th Grade Window Painting - Saturday, 10/23 & Sunday, 10/24
- PTO wanted us to send out a friendly reminder for these two upcoming events. If your child is quarantined during the dates listed above, please make sure you follow the guidance you have been given. PTO is happy to refund you your money for the Hoe Down.
Right to Read Week - On behalf of Hudson PTO and Hudson City Schools, I am pleased to announce that Gordon Korman, New York Times Best Selling author of Restart, will be visiting Hudson City Schools on March 22 and 23, 2022. Order forms are being sent home with your child today or early next week. Online ordering does not start until Monday, October 25th.
Picture Retakes, Yearbook Orders and Yearbook Cover Contest - Our Picture Retake Day is November 16th. If your child was absent or didn’t have their best smile on, our photographer will be here from 9-11. I want to remind you that yearbooks must be ordered separately this year. Order a yearbook through 10/31/21 on the Jostens Website. Finally, our Yearbook Cover is traditionally designed by one of our students. Art teachers have been sharing details with interested students, and submissions are due by October 31st.
Fall Celebration - Friday, October 29th
- 2:00 PM - The parade will be outside around the main circle in front of East Woods. Third grade will be the first grade in line followed by 4th and then 5th grade.
- Parents are asked to park in the bus lot between McDowell and East Woods by 1:50 PM. Please enter the bus lot through McDowell and exit through East Woods. If there are not enough spaces, please feel free to park at Evamere or Lavelli Field.
- We ask that the parents line up on the outside of the circle, on the sidewalks.
- In grades 3-5, the students should be able to put their costumes on by themselves. If students want to wear their costumes all day, please make sure it is something they can easily move around in and can take on and off easily, especially for PE and/or recess.
- If there is inclement weather on any of the above dates, the parade for that school will be canceled, and there will be no make-up date.
- Please refer to the flier that went home with your child a few weeks ago for costume expectations.
Holiday Sharing Flyer: Click here for all the information. Collections will take place from October 25th - November 19th at
Ready, Set, Relax is Monday, November 1st - Hudson Community First is partnering with Hudson City Schools for one night without homework, so families can relax and spend time together. In addition to no homework, HCSD athletic practices will end by 5:30 p.m. Families are encouraged to eat dinner together, play a game, or take a walk. Share you family fun on social media with #hudsonreadysetrelax.
Lost and Found - Our lost and found is overflowing with sweatshirts, jackets, water bottles, and lunchboxes! If you have noticed anything missing please remind your child to look in the lost and found!
All student school fees were posted at the end of September onto student accounts. Please check the Home Access Center for your balance. The preferred method of payment is to submit it online through MyPaymentsPlus. If you have any questions regarding fees, please contact Claudine Rightnour in the main office. Payments are now due.
- Oct. 25th - No School
- Oct. 25th - Nov. 19th - Holiday Sharing
- Oct. 29th - Fall Celebration
- Oct. 31st - Deadline for Ordering Yearbooks from Jostens website
- Oct. 31st - Deadline for Yearbook Cover Contest Entries
- Nov. 1st - Ready, Set, Relax
- Nov 16th - Picture Retake Day
Have a wonderful weekend!
Natalie Wininger, East Woods Intermediate School Principal