Over two hundred parents attended the "Straight Talk on School Safety" Forum held on March 14, 2018.
Hudson administrators, staff, parents and panel experts discussed a wide variety of topics concerning school safety. The forum was based on safety topics of concerns that were submitted on the Parent Survey by more than 132 parent respondents. This survey was sent to all Hudson parents for participation.
The Forum was broadcast on Facebook Live and is available to watch on the District Facebook page at Hudson City Schools, Ohio. In addition the Forum will also be aired on HCTV.
The Forum was conducted in four parts and moderated by Tom Speaks, Principal at Impact Group and a Hudson parent.
- A presentation and overview of the District's Safety Plan. This also included new safety initiatives that are currently being considered.
- A presentation of the results of the Parent Survey.
- A panel discussion that included presentations by Superintendent Phil Herman, Director of Pupil Services Kelly Kempf, Evamere Principal Beth Trivelli, High School Principal Brian Wilch, Hudson police officer/SRO for the High School and Middle School Jim Curtin, Fire Chief Jerry Varnes, and Co-Chair of Hudson Community First Laura Gasbarro.
- Questions were taken from the participants and answered by panelists.
The presentation materials included:
- Keeping Our Students Safe Brochure First edition 2015, revised 2018.
- About Our Safety Plan, updates since 2013.
- Parent Survey Feedback Infographic
List of Top Concerns from the Survey:
- 36% Entry
- 33% Training
- 27% Safety Plan
- 26% Mental Health
- 25% SRO
- 19% Metal Detectors
List of Top Discussion Points from the Survey:
- A better understanding of current safety plans
- A confirmation that our children know safety procedures
- The protocol of entering our schools
- The protocol to keep weapons out of schools
- How we deal with mental health and wellness
- The training of our staff/volunteers/students and parents
- Potential of arming staff members
- Adding SROs to every building
- Metal Detectors