Our Human Heritage: A survey of human history from 750 BCE - 1700 CE
·Ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the feudal systems of Europe and Japan, the early & late middle ages, the West African kingdoms of Ghana, Mali and Songhai, the Renaissance, the Reformation, the Scientific Revolution and the Age of Exploration (the First Global Age) are all part of our studies.
·Social studies skills and methods, geography, and current events are integrated throughout the year.
·We also learn and practice strategies for content-area reading and writing as well as study skills including note-taking, test preparation, and long & short-term project planning.
1. Model and practice social science methods through problem-based learning and inquiry
2. Provide opportunities for students to enjoy reading and learning about historic people & places while covering Ohio’s Social Studies Learning Standards:
3. Facilitate the development of students’ research and 21st century skills
4. Encourage awareness of the world around us
5. Connect current events and modern culture to history
6. Promote independent, active learning and the acquisition of study skills
1. Backpacks/ bookbags: upon entering class please remove and place on your table your IPad, pencil, and SS materials. Stow your bookbag on the back of your chair.
2. Bathrooms/ locker trips/ late to class: If you arrive to class quickly, set down your materials and ask the teacher for a restroom break, you will generally be allowed to go. You are expected to arrive to class on time and go directly to your seat.
3.Snack & Water: You may bring a healthy snack to enjoy during the morning periods and water any time. Snacking is a privilege. Please remember to clean up after yourself. Also, be aware that your snack should not interrupt or distract the learning environment. MUST BE ON APPROVED SNACK LIST. See list here.
4. Team Support: You are expected to report to team support with necessary materials. This means homework, IPad, pencil pouch, etc. Good use of TS for study time may lead to some free choice time at the end of the period.
5. FOCUS: Report with a book of your choice.
Have fun and remember, “The more you know about the past, the better prepared you are for the future.” -Theodore Roosevelt
-Are you in or do you have a child in 1st period SS?
Use the link https://www.remind.com/join/martinssp
-Are you in or do you have a child in 3rd period SS?
Use the link https://www.remind.com/join/martinsspe
-Are you in or do you have a child in 4th period SS?
Use the link https://www.remind.com/join/db2f7aa
-Are you in or do you have a child in 7th/8th period SS?
Use the link https://www.remind.com/join/ffkkd8