Welcome to 7 Trailblazers Social Studies!
In seventh grade we spend our time focusing on ancient civilizations. We will cover Greece, Rome, the Age of Exploration, and lots of topics in between.
Keys to Success:
1. We use the TCi textbook, accessible online here.
2. The social studies calendar is VERY helpful, add it to your calendar!
3. Check Google Classroom for assignments and due dates. When absent from class, check Google Classroom!
4. Come to class with a charged iPad and a good attitude. Choosing to be positive can go a very long way!
5. Know your GRAPES! This is a great way to review your knowledge of a unit. It will tell you all you need to remember about the ancient civilizations we study.
6. Talk to me or email me if you have questions or concerns.
7. Use your class time wisely, usually, the amount of homework you have is dependent on how you choose to use your worktime in class.
8. Practicing good study and academic habits helps us to be successful in all ares. If we put in the hard work early, it makes the journey more smooth. Good habits such as planner and calendar organization, time management, and clear and fast communication helps us to be successful inside and outside of the social studies classroom.
9. Have fun! History allows us to study the past to better understand today. It is full of great stories and awesome people, and studying it helps these legacies live on!
Our Human Heritage: A survey of human history from 750 BCE - 1700 CE
·Ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the feudal systems of Europe and Japan, the early & late middle ages, the West African kingdoms of Ghana, Mali and Songhai, the Renaissance, the Reformation, the Scientific Revolution and the Age of Exploration (the First Global Age) are all part of our studies.
·Social studies skills and methods, geography, and current events are integrated throughout the year.
·We also learn and practice strategies for content-area reading and writing as well as study skills including note-taking, test preparation, and long & short-term project planning.
1. Model and practice social science methods through problem-based learning and inquiry
2. Provide opportunities for students to enjoy reading and learning about historic people & places while covering Ohio’s Social Studies Learning Standards:
3. Facilitate the development of students’ research and 21st century skills
4. Encourage awareness of the world around us
5. Connect current events and modern culture to history
6. Promote independent, active learning and the acquisition of study skills