July 28, 2020
Dear HMS Families,
We hope you are enjoying your summer, and we are sincerely looking forward to welcoming you to our new Hudson Middle School. We truly cannot wait to see our students, both old and new!
As we near the start of the school year, we continue to make decisions with our students in mind. We are committed to providing you with regular updates, so that you and your children feel comfortable and ready for the 2020-2021 school year!
HMS Registration: Our traditional in-person Registration event, which was originally scheduled for August 19 and 20, has been reenvisioned for this year. Instead of an in-person event, the following will occur:
- Student Schedules and Community Placements: Student schedules and community placements will be available via Home Access Center (HAC). The date when this information will be available, and instructions for how to access HAC if you are uncertain how to do so, will be provided in early August.
- PTO Supply Sale: Unfortunately, our annual PTO Supply Sale will not occur this year. We know that the Supply Sale is a beneficial service offered by PTO for families, and we look forward to continuing it in its traditional format in the future. For this year, PTO will be offering three items for sale (TI-34 Multiview calculators, spiral graph paper notebooks, and the book Refugee, for 6th grade students). Information about the sale of these items will be emailed to parents in August by PTO and will also be available at that time on the PTO website (www.hudsonpto.org).
- Supply Lists: Please see supply lists below for each grade level. These lists are also located on our HMS Website > For Families > Supply Lists:
- iPads for 6th Grade Students and New Students: In the past, our 1:1 technology devices have been distributed during Registration. This year, iPads will be provided to 6th grade students and new students during the first few days of school, with our staff available for support in setup. All returning students are asked to bring their iPads to school on the first day.
- Student Pictures: Although we traditionally have school pictures taken during Registration, we are confirming dates for September. Information will be provided to families once the dates are confirmed.
Video Tour in August: We will be working with HCTV to create a video tour of the new middle school. The goal of the video will be to help students envision the new building, prior to the first day of school, and to feel welcomed and excited about their new learning environment.
First Days of School: During our first few days of middle school school, we will be wholeheartedly focused on the social and emotional needs of our students. We will:
- Dedicate time in each class to building relationships with our students, and help our students get to know one another.
- Tour the new building in order to help students feel comfortable and familiar with our new space.
- Learn and practice safety and wellness procedures so that all students become familiar with the expectations.
We look forward to working with you this year! HMS is a special place, and we are thrilled to have you with us!